Unleash the Power of Full Engagement
The number of hours a day is fixed, but the quantity and quality of energy available to us is not. This fundamental insight is the power to revolutionize the way you live.
That’s also the premise of the best-selling book, The Power of Full Engagement, by performance and energy experts Jim Loehr and Tony Schwartz. The authors feel that managing energy not time is the key to enduring high performance as well as to health, happiness and life balance.
I’ve met Jim at different business meetings over the years. His passion for this important subject has ignited sales and marketing teams at the world’s leading brands and organizations.
Jim and Tony’s Full Engagement© Training System is grounded in 25 years of coaching great athletes like Jim Courier, Dan Jansen, Pete Sampras, Monica Seles and Gabriela Sabatini. Their system has helped those athletes perform more effectively under brutal competitive pressure.
The system is based on these four principles:
- Full engagement is necessary and requires drawing on four separate but related sources of energy: physical, emotional, mental and spiritual.
- Energy capacity diminishes both with overuse and underuse, so we must balance energy expenditure with intermittent energy renewal. To maintain a power pulse, we must learn how to rhythmically spend and renew energy.
- Building energy capacity requires pushing beyond our normal limits, training in the same way elite athletes do. We build emotional, mental and spiritual capacity in precisely the way we build physical capacity.
- Use positive energy management rituals. Highly specific routines for managing energy are the key to engagement and sustained high-performance. A positive ritual is a behavior that becomes automatic over time, fueled by some deeply held value.
The authors believe to become fully engaged involves a three-step process of Purpose, Truth and Action, supporting those steps with insights and action plans. I have included my favorite lessons from each step:
- Purpose: The hero’s journey is grounded in mobilizing, nurturing and regularly renewing our most precious resource – energy – in the service of what matters most.
- Truth: Facing the truth frees up energy, and avoiding the truth consumes great time and energy.
- Action: Rituals serve as tools through which we effectively manage energy in the service of whatever mission we are on. They also create a means to translate our values and priorities into action in all parts of our life.
So are you ready to be fully engaged? I am, so stay tuned on how I gain more energy.
Macali’s Enterprise newsletter regularly shares strategy, marketing, communication and social media ideas that add value to your business. Subscribe free for regular advice, ideas and insights at http://eepurl.com/dERMM.